On Mon, Jul 22, 2002 at 22:25:58 -0500, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 22, 2002 at 04:21:24PM +0200, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> | >
> | >     grep -r
> | >     cp -r
> | >
> | > How does maildir inhibit those operations?
> |
> | I haven't said that they were inhibited, I have said that using the
> | mbox format makes things easier. Sometimes, I need an interactive cp.
>
> Interactive cp?  Is that like using debugfs to copy inodes manually?
> (yes, that's joke, but I really don't know what can be "interactive"
> about cp)

cp -i

In fact, I use that by default. With the mbox format, I can answer for
each mailbox. Here, I would have to do that for every message! This is
not acceptable.

> | And how can "cp -r" (or "scp -r") remove files from the destination
> | mailbox?
>
> *Those* commands don't, the 'rm' command does :-).

It can't. I recall that the task is to *copy* one or several mailboxes
(locally or through the network) with only one command.

> | Indeed, I sometimes delete messages from mailboxes.
>
> Is this always one-sided?  Or can you received/delete messages from
> either side and then want to sync them?

Always one-sided (but the side isn't always the same), i.e. only one
side has changes.

> If it is the former you can fairly easily script it with varying
> amounts of efficiency.  For example, just 'rm -rf' the folder on the
> destination and 'scp -r' to "update" it.

I don't like doing rm -rf. It is too dangerous (easy to delete the
wrong mailbox...). And AFAIK, I can't remove files with scp or a
similar command. I don't see how it could be easily scripted.

> In the latter case you need a program that understands mail folders
> (regardless of whether you use mbox or maildir) to properly sync the
> two folders.

Well, not my case.

> Perhaps a better solution is to use imap and have just one folder
> store.  (*perhaps*)

No, the network isn't always reachable, that's a reason why I need to
copy mailboxes (and for speed and backup reasons too).

> Can the limit function operate on message bodies?

Of course -- very useful!

> From what I've seen it seems to operate on the subject only (or
> certain other headers and properties if you use the right tilde
> magic).

For the body: ~b

--
Vincent Lefèvre <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> - Web: <http://www.vinc17.org/> - 100%
validated (X)HTML - Acorn Risc PC, Yellow Pig 17, Championnat International