On Sat, Aug 31, 2002 at 11:04:21AM -0500, Aaron Goldblatt wrote:
> an fyi so yall know it's happening, my email address used exclusively
> for mutt-users and mutt-dev has been harvested for spam.  i believe i
> posted to mutt-users exactly once, and never to mutt-dev.

Hi Aaron,
Sorry you got spammed.

Unfortunately even if this list weren't archived with our email-addresses
intact the list could still be mined for addresses by someone who just
signed up to the list and listened.

Unless the spammer was a total idiot there would be no way to tell them
apart anybody else on the list who is just a listener.

Since there is now way to tell the innocent from the guilty there
would is no way to stop it.

I use procmail and it stops most of the spam using RBLS lists.

There are some "relatively" new schemes out there which, if widely adopted
will actually put a virtual stop to spam.  My favorite for "best technical
solution" is called "Camram".

http://www.camram.org

My favorite for "Most gratifying solution" is to find the
SOB's and <description of various extreme acts deleted> 'em.

Unfortunately that's probably illegal.  Too bad.

--
Jeff Kinz, Director, Emergent Research,  Hudson, MA.  "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"
copyright 1995-2002.  Use restricted to non-UCE uses. Any other use is an

    //\         eLviintuaxbilse            /\\