On Sat, Aug 31, 2002 at 04:31:54PM -0700, Will Yardley wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > On Sat, Aug 31, 2002 at 11:04:21AM -0500, Aaron Goldblatt wrote:
>
> > > an fyi so yall know it's happening, my email address used exclusively
> > > for mutt-users and mutt-dev has been harvested for spam.  i believe i
> > > posted to mutt-users exactly once, and never to mutt-dev.
>
> > Unfortunately even if this list weren't archived with our email-addresses
> > intact the list could still be mined for addresses by someone who just
> > signed up to the list and listened.
> >
> > Unless the spammer was a total idiot there would be no way to tell them
> > apart anybody else on the list who is just a listener.
>
> Yes, but it's much less likely to happen... a spammer would have to go
> to a lot of effort (comparatively) to sign up for a list like this...
> and spamming a list of largely technical people would be dumb anyway.
>
> It's much more likely for addresses to get harvested from a list
> archive, since a crawler will find them.

Hi Will, nice to hear from you.
Yes, you're quite right, a crawler harvesting from the archive is more likely
than a harvesting "listener".

My point was that in the long run it makes no difference. Even if email
addresses are obscured in the archive the spammers can still harvest from
the list.

Some already do this although perhaps not this list yet. (We can only hope.)

I still like my "Most gratifying Solution". :)

--
Jeff Kinz, Director, Emergent Research,  Hudson, MA.  "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"
copyright 1995-2002.  Use restricted to non-UCE uses. Any other use is an

    //\         eLviintuaxbilse            /\\