On 2009-11-02, Michael Williams <willi...@astro.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 02, 2009 at 12:49:38PM -0400, Monte Stevens wrote:
> > > Is it possible to change the default "Re: your mail" subject that
> > > mutt uses when replying to emails that arrive without a subject to
> > > something less, er, passive aggressive -- or something in another
> > > language?
> >
> > You can edit the source "send.c" file.  Look for:
> >
> >   else if (!env->subject)
> >       env->subject = safe_strdup ("Re: your mail");
> >
> > Change 'your mail' to 'whatever you like'; I use 'no subject'.
>
> Thanks, that works.
>
> Seems like the kind of thing that should be exposed to end user
> configuration rather than requiring the user to edit source code. I have
> raised a ticket: http://dev.mutt.org/trac/ticket/3349.

But changing that subject doesn't require the user to edit source
code--the user can easily change it when prompted for the subject of
the reply or from the compose menu.  Further, if you're going to be
picky about the subject, it should really reflect the subject of the
message, not be just some generic equivalent of "you forgot the
subject".  It hardly seems worth making this configurable.

Regards,
Gary