Quoting ilf on 2010-04-09 12:18:08:
> Thanks for your hints. But I am still confused :)

Now I'm confused too, see below.

> Manual section "4.8 Handling Mailing Lists" sais, Mutt can do things
> with mailing lists once "Mutt knows what [my] mailing lists are".
>
> It can:
> 1. show mailing list in index with
>    - listname with $index_format including %L
>    - message status flag 'L' with $index_format including %Z
> 2. use <list-reply>
> 3. use $followup_to
>
> Section "3.9 Mailing lists" sais that "use $followup_to" is only for
> "subscribe"d lists. I have not tried this.

Confirmed.

> But the first feature, "showing mailing lists in index" only works with
> "subscribe"d lists. It does not work with "lists"ed lists. Why?

That's intentional. Section 3.1.1, "Status Flags", indicates that the L
flag indicates a message sent to a _subscribed_ list.

> Also, it seems intuitive to me, that Mutt should show mailing lists in
> index not only with "lists"ed lists, but also automatically based on the
>
> What do you think?

This ticket seems to partially address your concerns. From how I read
it, it by itself doesn't show what list it's sent to (as you stated
above you need %L in $index_format for that), but it does request
something that I've been looking for: ability to use regexes with List-*
headers, or perhaps even arbitrary headers, in 'lists' and 'subscribe'
commands. In the thread referenced in my last reply, a kludge was found,
but only worked on Debian lists and involved running a shell command.

I have no idea how hard it is to add a feature like that, but some would
propose that a feature like that is better to be in a MDA like procmail.
I'd offer to implement it myself, but it's still Beyond My Ken at this
point.

This, actually, is how I learn about stuff: answering questions for
others, or at least trying to, will eventually get me in a position
where I really grok the source and documentation.

--
 _  Brian Ryans 8B2A 54C4 E275 8CFD 8A7D 5D0B 0AD0 B014 C112 13D0     .
( ) ICQ UIN: 43190205 | Mail/MSN/Jabber: brianlry...@gmail.com       ..: