On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 06:17:24PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> - Image sample of failing e-mail (it will be auto-deleted in 7 days):
> http://picpaste.com/20100411_mutt_pager_wrapping.png
>
> - Raw code sample of failing e-mail (it will be auto-deleted in 1 day):
> http://pastebin.com/4t4kPSrh

(For others: Camaleón has a very long line of 'o's unbroken by space.
The PNG shows this flowed to fill all available columns, plus the
leading continuation marker on continuations.)

This is just what mutt does.  I do find markers (the leading '+' on the
continuation lines) to be really obnoxious, particularly when they
pollute URLs, so I turn them off.

IMO the flowing algorithm could use some work.  Breaks should be placed
at breaking white-space, and if none is available then wrap at the
_last_ column, with no marker (markers should be used, if at all, only
when breaking at breaking white-space).  The reason for wrapping at the
last column is simple: so URLs aren't broken up (so one can mouse double
click + copy to copy a URL into the clipboard).  Of course, breaking
only at breaking white-space means that mutt has to pick breaking points
carefully so that text flows reasonably well, with the least chance of
long non-breaking sequences going past the wrapmargin -- the algorithm
suddenly got complex.  (Piping through fmt(1) is probably not a good
idea.)

Nico