On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 11:37:50AM +1000, Cameron Simpson wrote:
> On 12May2012 19:34, Jim Graham <spooky1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Macs ship with postfix, far easier to configure than sendmail.

:-)

Postfix and I don't get along.  I tried just configuring it to handle
internal e-mail (e.g., from calendar to me, etc.), and I eventually
went back and put sendmail back in place.  Now, OS X probably has a
simple interface that'll make it easy, but when I tried, it was
anything but.  But then, back before cancer #1 and the damage it did
to my brain and memories, I was more comfortable in sendmail.cf than
anything else.  I still am, but not by nearly as much.

> Look at /etc/postfix/main.cf; lots of comments etc. You're mostly
> interested in $myorigin and $relayhost.

I've got Mutt (here on my FreeBSD system) configured to connect
directly to gmail's SMTP server and send e-mail.  I'll be keeping
that configuration.  After that, fetchmail (run by cron every two
minutes) gets incoming e-mail and hands it off to procmail.

The sendmail/postfix configuration will almost certainly be, as it is
today, for internal e-mail.

> "postconf" recites the active settings; "postfix check" does a sanity
> check. "postfix reload" to reconsult main.cf. "mailq" as usual to
> consult the outbound mail queue. "postfix flush" to flush the queue
> after a config change.

I'll definitely keep these bits for reference next month.  Thanks.

As far as mailq, I see Mutt connecting, authenticating, and sending
e-mail as soon as I send it.  There is, essentially, no mail queue.
:-)

But all of these things aren't so complicated.  The reason for my
original post in this thread was to see if anything in OS X might
interfere with using Mutt.  I didn't expect that there would be,
but I'd hate to try to pull up an xterm and find it missing.  :-)
(I'm still a command-line guy...reason for running X?  Multiple
x-terms, multiple desktops,  xbiff, and my freeware Tcl/Tk hurricane
tracking program, JStrack[1]).

Thanks,
   --jim

[1] http://www.jstrack.org/jstrack/  (And then there's the weather
    monitoring program I wrote in Tcl/Tk, too---it warns me when
    certain watches/warnings are posted by NWS, but you won't
    find that anywhere but on my system ... same for the digital
    clock I wrote, also Tcl/Tk.)

--
THE SCORE:  ME:  2  CANCER:  0
73 DE N5IAL (/4)            MiSTie #49997      < Running FreeBSD 7.0 >

          "The iPad is a status symbol for yuppies. The Android
         is for people who actually want something that works."

Android Apps Listing at http://www.jstrack.org/barcodes.html