* jeremy bentham <d...@eskimo.com> [06-23-12 19:36]:
> Ok, I installed msmtp and after a bit of flailing about got it
> working.
>
> Part of the flailing included an error message from
> mail.eskimo.com that it didn't support authentication.
> So I suppose it's puking when mutt insists.
>
> msmtp has a way to turn that off; does mutt? If it's
> smtp_authenticators, what do I put there?

TFM suggests:

   The built-in SMTP support supports encryption (the smtps protocol using
   SSL or TLS) as well as SMTP authentication using SASL.  The
   authentication mechanisms for SASL are specified in
   $smtp_authenticators defaulting to an empty list which makes Mutt try
   all available methods from most-secure to least-secure.

and:

3.263. smtp_authenticators

   Type: string
   Default: (empty)

   This is a colon-delimited list of authentication methods mutt may
   attempt to use to log in to an SMTP server, in the order mutt should
   try them.  Authentication methods are any SASL mechanism, e.g.
   "digest-md5", "gssapi" or "cram-md5".  This option is case-insensitive.
   If it is "unset" (the default) mutt will try all available methods, in
   order from most-secure to least-secure.

   Example: set smtp_authenticators="digest-md5:cram-md5"

--
(paka)Patrick Shanahan       Plainfield, Indiana, USA      HOG # US1244711
http://en.opensuse.org                           openSUSE Community Member