On 2012-11-24, Jim Graham <spooky1...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> By "variable width format", I mean a text message with unwrapped
>> paragraphs (which only has EOLs when semantically necessary).
>
> Ok, but the question still applies.  if a table, for example, is typed
> in a fixed-width 72--76 column format, such as the following:
>
>  .------------------------------------------------------------------------.
> |      Hop Variety    | Alpha | Amount (oz) | Time |  IBU | % Total IBUs |
> |=====================|=======|=============|======|======|==============|
> | Spalter Select (GR) |  5.6  |   0.7       |  60  | 14.9 |    65%       |
> | Spalter Select (GR) |  5.6  |   0.6       |  30  |  7.1 |    31%       |
> | Spalter Select (GR) |  5.6  |   0.25      |   5  |  1.0 |     4%       |
>  `------------------------------------------------------------------------'
>
> Now, read this with a variable WIDTH format, still as plain text.  Is it
> aligned properly?  It has never been right in any cases I've seen....

That's a good example of where the meaning of LFs would be significant
in the stance I'm taking.  That is, descriptive text before and after
the table would only use LFs (2 of them) to mark paragraph, with the
rest of the text unwrapped, and there would be LFs at the end of each
row of that table, making it perfectly clear to the client software
that the table should be left untouched (and preferably monospaced),
while the paragraphs before and after would be wrapped to the users
preference.

> Also, right-justified (HAH!  Chemobrain let that one slip in) text,
> if done correctly (tiny changes to font size, including spaces,
> throughout each individual line, NOT adding blank spaces) also helps
> readability for printed text.

I've heard the contrary.  That is, studies have concluded that an
*unjustified* ragged-right paragraph is more readable.  And I agree
with it.  The rationale being that having the right side ragged helps
a persons visual memory in a way that mitigates losing which line to
read next.  The asymetry creates a visual cue.

I really don't see a good purpose for right justification no matter
how it's achieved.  It may make the overall page look more
aesthetically pleasing when not actually reading it, but I find it
less readable because it takes just a little more concentration to not
lose your place.

Jim's sig>  "The iPad is a status symbol for yuppies. The Android
Jim's sig> is for people who actually want something that works."

Not sure about the status symbol, but I would certainly say that the
Android is not something that "just works".  It's buggy and flakey
(e.g. spontaneous reboots), and because the main repository is less
controlled, most of the apps are dodgey and include a bit of spyware.
Google is too focused on expaning their own spyware to actually work
out bugs that reside in the kernel.  Most, if not all, versions of
Android have a VPN client that's wholly broken.

I got an Android hoping Google would be worthy of at least providing a
solid kernel.  But it's crap, with spyware to boot.  The only hope of
something spyware-free that works, and gives the user an appropriate
amount of control is the Meego at this point.