On 2012-11-24, Derek Martin <inva...@pizzashack.org> wrote:

> Yeah, I said exactly that in another message.  Now generate HTML
> mail with Mutt.  Plus you still get a lot of folks -- many of whom
> use GUI clents -- who complain about HTML mail for any number of
> reasons.  And at least a few of them are legitimately arguable
> concerns.  A good
> start:
>
>   http://www.georgedillon.com/web/html_email_is_evil.shtml

6/7 of those are good reasons to condemn HTML e-mail with todays tools
in a hypothetical scenario where tools cannot improve.  (The bandwidth
waste claim is silly and can be disregarded in these days of Youtube
streaming and a diminishing dial-up community).  As for the other 6
reasons, these are /all/ a result of poor engineering and
implementation faults.  Just because a link points to some dodgey
flash garbage with flash cookies doesn't mean the browser should
execute it.

In principle, none of this rationale is a worthy cause to condemn HTML
in the body of an e-mail message.  People fail to produce quality
tools.

There's something to be said for dangerous and unnecessary features
being excluded from a language to promote the quality tools used for
the job -- but this does not entail abandoning the /whole/ language.
Take a basic and fundamental part of it, call it safe-HTML,
minimal-HTML, or email-HTML, and use a subset of the whole language.

HTML authors often use silly features in silly ways, on the web or
elsewhere.  Despite conforming to a standard, they have little
expectation for serious results that render the same on all browsers.