* Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwa...@gmail.com> [12-01-12 11:07]:
> On 2012-12-01, Patrick Shanahan <ptilopt...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I am not explaining properly/sufficiently.  Yahoo *requires* your posting
> > addr matches your smtp.

:^)

> Ah, that's indeed quite different than what you wrote previously.
> Requring that the From: address match up with the sending SMTP server
> is not an unusual anti-spam measure.
>
> > Mine does not and I will not open *more* spam floodgates.
>
> All you need to do is to send the message via the GMail smtp server.
> How does that "open more spam floodgates"?  I have mutt configured to
> send mail via GMail's SMTP server when I'm using my GMail address, and
> I don't think it's created any additional spam.

I now *only* post via my isp's smtp.  I previously posted by my own
location smtp but it became increasingly difficult to bypass problems
encompassed by posting from a dynamic ip and relented.  I do not want to
used email addrs at my isp!

> > I post via my isp using a gmail addr and my isp smtp.  It does not
> > match yahoo's req's as the posting addr and smtp do not match.
>
> In the past, I've found that causes problems with other destinations
> as well.  I suspect it's comparing the From: address, the envelope
> from, the SMTP sender, and the Return-Path: values.  If they don't
> match up in certain ways, it's being tossed as likely spam/phishing. I
> know my employer's MS Outlook server does that, though I don't
> remember exactly which combinations have to match...

I have not found this, yet  :)
--
(paka)Patrick Shanahan       Plainfield, Indiana, USA      HOG # US1244711
http://en.opensuse.org                           openSUSE Community Member