On 2012-11-30, Jim Graham <spooky1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 06:20:00PM +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:
>
>> I killfiled all postings from google groups years ago...
>
> Well, I suppose you'll never be on my list, then (it's a support and
> announcement type list for the freeware hurricane tracker (JStrack)
> that I wrote back in ca. 1996, and continue to update as needed or
> when ideas for new features (ones I'm able to implement) come along.
> It's a google groups list.

If needed I can change the killfile rule so that it doesn't apply to a
particular group, but I haven't had any reason to do that yet.  Since
I live in Minnesota, I probably won't need to be running JStrack --
unless things go far worse far faster than even the most pessimistice
climate models.  :)

Is the Google Groups WebUI the only way you can post to a google
groups list?  You can't just send an e-mail to listn...@groups.google.com?

> I would PREFER to use a listserv, but if there's one open to public
> (i.e., non-edu) use, I haven't found it.  So, I went with what I
> COULD use.

I think the Yahoo list server can be used by anybody (I guess you have
to sign up for a Yahoo account, to do admin stuff).  They offer a web
UI, but you don't actually have to use it -- you can subscribe to it
using any e-mail address by using the usual sort of e-mail command and
never have to touch the web UI if you don't want to.

Sourceforge and the like all provide free mailing list servers for all
registered projects.  The archive browsing features tend to be crap,
but that's what gmane.org is for...

--
Grant