Luis Mochan wrote:
> my system, /usr/bin/mutt is a link pointing to
> /etc/alternatives/mutt. Furthermore, /etc/alternatives/mutt is a link
> pointing to /usr/bin/mutt-patched, which is the actual binary for the
> ...nice description of alternatives...

Some time ago I posted this following in a discussion about the Debian
alternatives and it includes a walkthrough of how alternatives are
used and configured.  I think it is still relevant.  Perhaps it will
help others understand how the alternatives work.

Don't be confused by the topic of vi, nvi, vim, elvis differences.
That is the just carrier wave upon which the Debian alternatives topic
is discussed.  Just scroll down a page past that and look at the
walkthrough part.

Bob

P.S. Wow.  Time flies!