James Griffin wrote:
> I believe Fedora/Redhat systems have a similar way of selecting
> which package/program should be your default using an
> "alternatives-type" command. Useful for Linux users.

At the risk of drifting too far from topic, yes, Red Hat / Fedora does
have alternatives.  It appears to me to be a port-then-rewrite of the
Debian tool.  But they use it for completely different purposes.  They
use it to control the choice of MTA and a few other high level system
choices.

On Debian only one of Postfix, Exim, Sendmail would be installed at a
time so no chooser is needed between them to arbitrate who gets
/usr/sbin/sendmail.  It is whichever one is installed.  But on
Fedora/RH both Postfix and Sendmail are both typically installed at
the same time.  They use the alternatives to select which one is
active gets control of /usr/sbin/sendmail (using the "mta" tag).  (And
along with chkconfig to determine which one starts and gets port 25.)
AFAICS on Fedora/RH the alternatives system isn't used for user seen
behavior such as /usr/bin/mutt selection and is pretty sparingly used
in general.

Bob