On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 02:58:58PM +0000, Chris Green wrote:

> > What I want to know is:-
> >
> >     Is it possible for a message to be delivered into an mbox that mutt
> >     is looking at without provoking the ""Mailbox was externally
> >     modified" message?
> >
> >     If the above is possible then what does the delivering MTA have to
> >     do so that the delivered message is 'N' and all others are left
> >     unchanged?
> >
> I just took a look at the code (desperate measures!) and it gives me the
> answer.
>
> If the mbox in question has a message *appended* to it then mutt regards
> this as OK and will not output the error.  It detects an append by
> looking to see if the 'message separator' before the appended message is
> exactly where the end-of-file was previously.
>
> I suspect my MTA doesn't agree exactly with mutt about where the
> 'message separator' is.
>
> I need to play some more!  :-)

I have found my problem!

My (python) MTA puts a blank line at the start of each message before
the "From MAILER-DAEMON Wed Mar 20 14:27:05 2013" line which is the mbox
start line.  As described above mutt sees the start as being at the
"From " so it thinks the mbox has been modified otherwise than by a
simple append.

I guess something must have changed in the python libraries (or maybe in
mutt) to have changed this logic because, as I said, it did used to work
OK.

I'll just have to fiddle something somewhere.  I can probably remove the
empty line in my python code.

--
Chris Green