On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 08:54:45PM +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:
On 2017-04-26, Matthias Apitz <g...@unixarea.de> wrote:
El día miércoles, abril 26, 2017 a las 07:18:30p. m. +0000, Grant Edwards
escribió:

> Why should a sender of txt mail be worried about how Gmail or any other
> MUA is rendering a txt mail? Isn't this the responsibility of the user
> of the other MUA to configure it (the font) correctly?

When I send an e-mail it is because I have a desire to convey some
sort of information to the recipient.  Sending an email that the user
will find illegible does not accomplish that goal.

Any normal text mail will be readable, even with non-fixed fonts;
perhaps what you want is

What I want is mainly to be able to include small tables of data.

(when I see, for example, your signature) give your text some
structure in the layout, like tables etc. which is not what text is
for. You should use any formatting language, like HTML or Latex or
groff.

OK, so how does one do that within mutt?

I would suggest that the most prudent approach is to use a lightweight
markup language (LML). LMLs tend to be designed such that, while they
CAN be rendered into a presentation form, the source code is also
(relatively) legible.

So, let's say I wanted to write something in bold. In HTML that could be
\textbf{bold}. But in markdown, it's simply **bold**.
A good LML would have a MIME type associated with it (I see that
markdown does, but reStructuredText doesn't, for example), so it can
either be viewed (as source) in the pager or rendered (as presentation
form) by a mailcap entry.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! Should I get locked
                                 at               in the PRINCICAL'S

--
For more information, please reread.