On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 09:23:57AM +0100, Darac Marjal wrote:
> >mutt is a *text* application, not markup/markdown/html/css/....  the way
> >you define text on *your* system is what you get, not what is sent or what
> >you send.
>
> Actually, mutt DOES have some support for more than text/plain.

FWIW, Patrick didn't say text/plain, he said text.

> If a message is in text/enriched type, mutt knows how to render that
> to the terminal.

Rendering in Mutt is not the point...  It's generation of text with a
particular rendering on the receiving end.

But since you brought it up, I believe RTF is a dead standard, and
IIRC only a handful of mail clients support it.  If so it's not a
generalized solution...  And even Mutt's support for it does not
include *generating* it... that requires you to create the document in
your editor and tell Mutt (explicitly or by file extension) that the
file is rich text, when you attach it to your message.

> I can see that a sufficiently motivated developer could add, say, a
> markdown parser there just as easily (or if markdown is too vague,
> something as safely-defined as text/enriched).

Aside from being beside the point, don't put that in Mutt--that's what
MIME is for.

> To me, the larger hurdle is writing messages in a markup language.

It's not a hurdle--it just isn't Mutt's job.  Lots of things can
format markup, including your editor, which is where your e-mail
messages generally are composed...

> Is there any method in mutt to cope with the fact that $EDITOR has
> just passed it something other than text/plain (that is, some method
> OTHER than ^T on the compose screen)?

Yes, it's called MIME.  Save your document with an appropriate file
name and extension, and attach it to your message.  That's how this is
SUPPOSED to work... and it does.

For what it's worth, I sympathize with the ask here.  I've long wanted
to be able to do very basic formatting in e-mail messages--mostly just
bold and italics, with perhaps the occasional alignment.  But long ago
the industry decided to use HTML for this, and it's now ubiquitous, so
you should probably just do that.  But if you want to do that with
Mutt, you still need to compose the HTML yourself, save it, and attach
it to your message.  Or, you could put the HTML right in your message
body, and then change the type from the attachment view.  I did
actually just test that, and it does work...  Although it made me
realize that I've all but forgotten HTML. =8^)

-=-=-=-=-