Grant Edwards wrote:

> So how, in the editor, do you tell Mutt that you've created a
> multipart alternative body?

I use a sendmail hook for this:

https://github.com/wincent/wincent/blob/1e690483e5dd8/roles/dotfiles/files/.mutt/config/hooks.mutt#L19

This pipes the mail through this wrapper script, which creates a multipart
message if the body starts or ends with "!m" (the "m" here stands for Markdown):

https://github.com/wincent/wincent/blob/1e690483e5dd8/roles/dotfiles/files/.mutt/scripts/msmtp.rb

Fun fact, pretty much every message in this thread looks terrible in Google
Inbox on iOS (and presumably Gmail on iOS) because the lines are all
hard-wrapped but too long to fit on the screen, leading to alternating long
(soft-wrapped) and short (hard-wrapped) lines. Looks nice in mutt, of course,
but less than 1% of the people I exchange email with are using that, so I
decided to set 'textwidth' to 0 in Vim, which means my emails have long lines
in them (gasp!) and mutt will automatically use quoted printable to format
them, which looks decent pretty much everywhere:

https://github.com/wincent/wincent/blob/1e690483e5dd8/roles/dotfiles/files/.vim/after/ftplugin/mail.vim

Cheers,
Greg