Dan Ritter wrote:

Is there a way to hide a message (e.g. with a certain subject) from view in
a mailbox, without actually deleting it?

The dovecot IMAP server keeps its folder (mailbox) metadata as a
pseudo-message. When I access those mboxes locally with mutt, I see this
pseudo-message but I don't want to.

That doesn't happen in Maildir storage. Is it reasonable to
switch from mbox to maildir?

An interesting idea!

I have over 400 mboxes in my ~/Mail directory, some of them being
mailing list archives, others being Usenet groups archives, or mboxes inherited from my decommissioned CommuniGate server.

My dovecot configuration is simple: "mail_location =
mbox:~/Mail:INBOX=/var/mail/%u"

If I knew how to convert all this stuff to Maildir storage... Do I have to convert all of them at once?

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
2:5005/49@fidonet http://vas.tomsk.ru/