Ian Zimmerman wrote:
On 2018-12-13 13:05, Kurt Hackenberg wrote:

Whether to use IMAP at all -- well, one reason to use IMAP, even if
you have direct access to the mail files, is so you can use any mail
reader, not just one. When various mail readers read and write files
directly, even file formats that are supposedly the same, the mail
readers may not do it compatibly with each other. That's especially
true of mbox, which is actually many related file formats, not just
one.

Also, IMAP allows concurrent access. Direct access to files by a mail
reader many or may not implement concurrent access.

I copy message files from the new/ part of my spool on the server to my
local box for reading.  Since this is just a file copy the lock-freedom
of the maildir format avoids any concurrency problems.

I agree that there are good reasons to use IMAP, but none of them seem
to apply to me :)

How about accessing your mail archives from a mobile device, for a reason?

That is probably the only reason I have my procmail deliver mail
to IMAP-accessible mboxes instead of elsewhere. AquaMail is of course inferior to mutt but running a SSH-client with mutt inside is still not convenient on a smartphone.

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
2:5005/49@fidonet http://vas.tomsk.ru/