On 2019-05-07 19:00, Luciano ES wrote:

I pasted the output of ls -AR here:
https://pastebin.com/DihPtit2

Nothing jumps out at me as obviously invalid MH format, but it's clearly been modified and reused at least a couple times. There's extra stuff that's not normally present in MH format.

For one, it looks like you renamed maildir's subdirectories tmp, new, and cur to xtmp, xnew, and xcur, but left them there, in what is now used as an MH directory. There are still about 900 messages in xcur, which would be inaccessible to anything expecting either maildir or MH format.

Mutt might be trying and failing to interpret those subdirectories as subfolders -- failing because they're not either maildir or MH format.

I suggest that you try to start over, make a new clean folder. Use something high-level -- maybe Mutt -- to copy the messages into a new place and leave all the other stuff behind. Then rename directories to end up with the new clean folder having the same old pathname.