On 24Nov2020 12:09, Ian Zimmerman <i...@very.loosely.org> wrote:

>> It only happens to users from some domains. [...]
>
>It is because those senders subscribed with an address covered by a
>strict DMARC policy. If their address is not munged by the list, their
>messages will be bounced back to the list by almost everyone if they
>fail a DKIM check (and that's almost always). [...]
>
>There's no good automatic solution to build into a MUA for this, as far
>as I know. The best you can do is write a macro to extract the true
>sender, and feel lucky for using a MUA that allows that :-)

I have an unmangle step in my mail filer. I'll list the rules at the
bottom of this message.

Basicly, for particular sources I hack the From: line around. For yahoo
lists the original address was embedded in the From: header itself, for
mercur...@mercurial-scm.org the Reply-To: header holds the original
author, for us...@lists.fedoraproject.org the X-Old-From: header holds
it, for core-mentors...@python.org it is in the X-MailFrom: and so
forth. So there's a suite of special purpose rules below.

The rule syntax below is "target condition...", so each of the:

    from:s/this/that/

lines is a "target" and the other lines constraint which messages it is
applied to.

I imagine you could do something with procmail like this. See the
"formail" command. If formail won't do it, a sed script probably will.

Note that this of course mangles the headers, a price I've been willing
to pay for sanity.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <c...@cskk.id.au>

# undo Yahoo Groups DKIM/DMARC mangling
# if we ever check the validity of this stuff it will need to be before this
step
]*)\]".*<(?P=listname)(-noreply)?@yahoogroups.com>/"$fullname" <$coreaddr>/
                        sender:/@yahoogroups.com
                        from:/@yahoogroups.com>