On Fri, Nov 12, 2021 at 11:56:31AM +0000, Chris Green wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 12, 2021 at 09:25:47AM +0000, Chris Green wrote:
> > I know this has been discussed before but I can't immediately find the
> > discussion or a solution.
> >
> > I'm running Mutt 2.0.5 (2021-01-21) on xubuntu 21.10.
> >
> > I use Lynx to handle HTML E-Mails through into mutt's viewer, as a
> > result I get a numbered list of URLs at the bottom of the message and
> > these are very often long and thus wrap over multiple lines.
> >
> > This causes a couple of issues:-
> >
> >     You can't right click on the URL to 'Open Link' or 'Copy link
> >     address', you only get the first line.
> >
> >     Even if you select the whole URL with the mouse it then has
> >     embedded 'white space' and (some) browsers don't handle this
> >     correctly if you paste the URL into the address bar.
> >
> > As I say I'm sure this has been discussed before so, sorry if there's
> > an answer already.  Anyway I'd like to know if there is an answer or
> > workaround.
> >
> > (This issue has just worsened for me because I've moved from Firefox
> > to Vivaldi.  Firefox ignores the embedded white space OK but Vivaldi
> > doesn't)
> >
> If smart_wrap did what the description seems to say:-
>
>     Controls the display of lines longer than the screen width in the
>     internal pager. If set, long lines are wrapped at a word boundary. If
>     unset, lines are simply wrapped at the screen edge. Also see the
>     $markers variable.
>
> Then all would be well, there are no word boundaries in URLs so, if
> one has smart_wrap=yes (which I do) then long URLs shouldn't be
> wrapped, but they are.
>
> As a quick check I tried setting pager=less and then long URLs worked
> perfectly, the mouse selects the whole multi-line URL, but using an
> external pager has its downsides unfortunately.

Keep talking to myself.... :-)

I have a reasonable workaround, add a pager macro:-

    macro pager l "|less

I can then right click on the URL in 'less' and select the whole URL.
It would be nice to be able to bypass the "Press any key to continue..."
but I can live with that.  (there isn't a prompt_after setting for |
is there?).

--
Chris Green