On Tue, Feb 22, 2022 at 04:40:06PM -0600, Ion wrote:
> Thanks to all of you for trying to solve my problem. But I have been
> trying to setup mutt for nine days now.  I have followed all your
> advice and instructions to the best of my ability, to no avail.  [...]
> Much as I want to use a CLI client, Thunderbird, Claws, and Evolution
> were able to connect me within 15 minutes ...

Have you tried using Getmail (or Fetchmail, or mbsync, or OfflineIMAP,
etc - i.e. an MRA (mail retrieval agent)) to get a copy of your mail
from your Fastmail server to a local Mbox or Maildir?

If you can get that working, then you can just point Mutt at the
resulting Mbox or Maildir on your local drive, and read your mail that
way:

    mutt -R -f /path/to/local/mbox/or/maildir

I.e. rely only on Mutt's MUA functionality, not its MRA functionality.

You might even be able to point Mutt at wherever Thunderbird keeps your
local mailstore, depending on how you have Thunderbird configured.  I.e.
let Thunderbird act as your MRA and use Mutt as your MUA:

    mutt -R -f /path/to/local/Thunderbird/mail/store

Don't give up!

--
A: When it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: When is top-posting a bad thing?

()  ASCII ribbon campaign. Please avoid HTML emails & proprietary
/\  file formats. (Why? See e.g. https://v.gd/jrmGbS ). Thank you.