On 2022/02/25 10:53, Ranjan Maitra wrote:

Regardless, actually I think that all I would be happy with would be a query or
something that alerts me to the fact that I am potentially writing to an
individual address (or a list) (for when I am  on a list, but not in general,
because then I start to blindly accept because most email is not to a list).

It's possible to configure Mutt so that its index tells you that a message came from a list. The default index format includes %L, so all you'd have to do is use "subscribe" to tell Mutt what lists you're subscribed to. Or there's $auto_subscribe, to do that automatically for lists that announce themselves.

With the index telling you the message came from a list, then you would know to reply with 'L'.

You could try this to see if you like it by just adding this to your .muttrc:
set auto_subscribe=yes

This section of the manual describes what Mutt can do with mailing lists:
<http://mutt.org/doc/manual/#using-lists>