Hi Kevin,

> There isn't a clean built-in way to do what you want, so you'll have to get
> creative.
Very clever.  I like it!

When I read "creative" I remembered mutt's hooks and started playing around
with them.  My first idea was:

 # Turn off autoview before a reply:
 reply-hook ~A 'unset implicit_autoview'
 # Turn it back on when opening the next mail
 message-hook ~A "set implicit_autoview"'

Unfortunately this does not work because mutt apparently executes
message-hook *after* reply-hook when replying to a message.
Chapter "18. Message Composition Flow" of the manual does not list
"message-hook".

But after a while I came up with a semi-complete solution:

 # Turn off autoview before a reply:
 reply-hook ~A 'unset implicit_autoview'
 # Turn it back on when viewing any message which has no attachment (o/w
directly unsets the above setting)
 message-hook '~X 0' "set implicit_autoview"'

Kevin's solution is better and perfect but more complex.

Thanks to everybody who had ideas,
 Andy

--
 "People that hate cats, will come back as mice in their next life."
   --Faith Resnick