> Would you mind creating a script to use for $editor.  Something like:
>
> - - - - myeditor.sh - - - -
>   #!/bin/bash
>
>   cp $1 ~/before.txt
>   vim $1
>   cp $1 ~/after.txt
> - - - - end myeditor.sh - - -
>
> set editor = "~/myeditor.sh"
>
> Then, if you put 加 at the end of the subject while in Mutt.  I'd like to
> see what before.txt and after.txt look like after vim runs.  Please attach
> them so I can look at the raw bytes.

Attached.  They were identical, both containing 加.

> Also, if you have access to a compiler, would you mind compiling and running
> this quick program:

Here you go:

asai@bigsur % cat test.c
#include <stdio.h>
#include <ctype.h>

int main ()
{
  printf("%d\n", isspace(0xa0));
  printf("%d\n", isspace(0x85));
  printf("%d\n", isspace(0x0a));

  return 0;
}
asai@bigsur % gcc --version
Configured with: --prefix=/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr
--with-gxx-include-dir=/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk/usr/include/c++/4.2.1
Apple clang version 13.0.0 (clang-1300.0.29.3)
Target: arm64-apple-darwin20.6.0
Thread model: posix
InstalledDir:
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin
asai@bigsur % gcc -o test test.c
asai@bigsur % ./test
0
0