On Mon, Apr 10, 2023 at 09:19:04AM +0100, Chris Green wrote:
On Sun, Apr 09, 2023 at 02:28:00PM -0700, Kevin J. McCarthy wrote:
It's working in my simple testing, so perhaps there is something more
involved.  Can you create a small reproducing muttrc file and a list of
exact instructions to trigger the change in behavior?

If I send a message to the mutt mailing list from the old (version
1.10.1) mutt the headers I see are:-

       From: Chris Green <c...@isbd.net>

If I send a message to mutt from version 2.1.4 of mutt I see:-

       From: Chris Green <c...@isbd.net>

Is there a copy paste error above?

I can't test with a muttrc that long, which sources external files and commands I don't have access to. Please, when I say minimal, I mean *minimal*.

I have tested against latest git with this muttrc:

lists mutt-users@mutt.org
subscribe mutt-users@mutt.org
set my_addr = 'ch...@isbd.co.uk'
send-hook . 'my_hdr From: Chris Green <$my_addr>'
send-hook ~l 'my_hdr From: Chris Green <c...@isbd.net>'

I invoke mutt with 'mutt -F cgreen.muttrc', type 'm', enter mutt-users@mutt.org at the To prompt. After the subject prompt and editor complete, the From line in the compose window shows:

   From: Chris Green <c...@isbd.net>

If I discard the message, type 'm' again, and enter foo at the To prompt, after the subject prompt and editor complete, the From line in the compose window shows:

   From: Chris Green <ch...@isbd.co.uk>

Can you test again using that 5-line muttrc and verify the same thing? If that works for you, I need for you to try adding things from your original muttrc to see what causes the difference. Also, please mention if you are doing anything differently in your testing - are you using aliases, for example?

Thank you.

--
Kevin J. McCarthy