OK, I now know what was working (in 1.10.1) and now isn't working the
way it did.

If I put the following in my muttrc:-

    lists mutt-users@mutt.org
    subscribe mutt-users@mutt.org

Then my send-hooks setting a different From: for mutt-users@mutt.org
work as expected in both 1.10.1 and 2.1.4.

However, I'm on a lot of lists so my 'lists' and 'subscribe' commands
use program generated output to populate them:-

    lists `~/.mutt/bin/getLists.py`
    subscribe `~/.mutt/bin/getLists.py`

This used to work in 1.10.1 but doesn't work in 2.1.4.  The output of
~/.mutt/bin/getLists.py is a single long string containing all my
mailing list addresses separated by spaces.

So it would seem that 2.1.4 no longer likes the space separated
format, does it need a list with newline separators now?

I'll try to narrow this down further by trying a very short list of
mailing list names.

--
Chris Green