Just to make clear - I do not make a distinction between project support files and my library when it comes to electronic documents. There simply is no need to be confusing when search works so well. It takes just as long to pull a digital file from any location in Google Docs, evernote, etc. When it comes to physical documents, almost all of them are support. When I am finished with them, I file them in locked files if I need to keep them for compliance purposes. I digitalize them if I don't need to keep the actual. On the *extremely rare* occasions where I must keep an original around for awhile and then do something with it, I put it with archive files, so it stays safe, and make a note in MLO!
Michael On Jan 8, 4:03 pm, Michael Hopkins <[email protected]> wrote: > Rule #1 for me is that MLO has absolutely zero project materials in > it. Sure, I'll throw a phone number or URL in notes, but I know that > files, papers, forms, graphics etc are elsewhere. Where are they? > Either in my dropbox account, my Basecamp account, in my file drawer, > computer folders etc. Everything is kept in a natural place. I do > digitalize almost everything and use Windows 7 with its live search, > which really helps. Vista has the same search, I believe. Notes of > random information I keep in Google Docs, or if the info is contact > information/contact notes, in my CRM. > > I don't see any reason you would stop using Evernote. If you make a > task like, "comment on the photos Stacy sent me," and you know you are > in the habit of putting such things in Evernote, you're just going to > naturally look there. Don't change what's working for you. > > I do most of my MLO-GTD planning work in the outline, naturally, and > it's very simple. I just plan the project in MLO, and then I choose > the options that make sense for this project. For example, I have a > project to make a flyer right now, and it's set to complete sub-tasks > sequentially because I need some information first. Another project, > setting up a few computers, can be done in any order. The only rule I > have is that if an item is due, it has a due date and if it can't > start right away, a start date. I also assign as many contexts as are > appropriate but I don't obsess over them. If I keep not finding tasks > where I expect them when I pull context lists, I start to naturally > change my behavior. No need to make an elaborate system before field- > testing the simple one. :) > > So what about doing projects? I just sort by context in the to-do > view and get to work. Sometimes I print a list and update it later, > and sometimes I like to work with the outline instead of the to-do > view. One limitation is that I can't seem to auto-print a to-do list. > I'd love to be able to have a to-do list waiting in my printer tray > each morning. You're not going to find that anywhere else either, > though. > > Really, MLO is a dream for GTD users because it can handle any sort of > approach to tasks that one wants. Just remember that it is meant for > little but doing tasks and outlining AMAZINGLY well, and you won't > frustrate yourself. > > On Jan 8, 3:46 pm, Lisa Stroyan <[email protected]> wrote: > > > I would love to hear more about how MLO-GTD users have their systems > > set up. Currently I'm trying to decide how to handle checklists, > > project support materials, and notes of random information. I am > > using Evernote, because that is the only cross-platform solution to > > my Droid that works well for me. But I'm not sure what I should put > > in Evernote, what in MLO, and how to keep them connected. > > > Thanks! > > > Lisa > > > ---------- > > Lisa Stroyan, mailto:[email protected]
-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "MyLifeOrganized" group. To post to this group, send email to [email protected]. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [email protected]. For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/mylifeorganized?hl=en.
