From: pottster <kenwarren...@gmail.com>
Sender: mylifeorganized@googlegroups.com
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2011 14:16:30
To: <mylifeorganized@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [MLO] Re: *not* calendar view

Thanks for the thoughtful comments Dwight.

Some responses in no particular order...

It's no big deal if a task rolls over to the following day. Only if it's the
same task(s) every time because then there may be a procrastination issue.
Also, if a significant number of tasks roll over each day then the issues
could be inaccurate assessments of the time tasks take or of the time
available to do them. Both of which are separate problems which need
addressing. If the daily workload is accurately assessed then there should
be no unproductive re-scheduling only a valuable review of priorities.

Just because you date a task doesn't mean you're considering urgency above
importance. Just the opposite in fact. By dating an important  task and
giving yourself a deadline you are giving an equal weight to a deadline,
maybe an arbitrary one, applied by someone else.

David Allen (and many others) actually believe that one of the most
important parts of GTD is the weekly review. My approach would be to date
tasks a week ahead as part of a review and fine tune daily. It's important
to remember though that it's just a plan and plans are made to be broken.
This is the concept so many people have trouble with. A plan is just a
prediction when you have nothing better to go on. It has no value in and of
itself. It just helps to introduce some order into random chaos, a means to
an end and not an end in itself. If you remember that then planning is never
pointless.

I do laugh when I hear people arguing so vehemently against dated to do
lists. Just think about it. The moment you act on a task you're dating it -
giving it a date of today. So what the debate is really about is planning
horizons about whether you are deciding to do something now, in 5 minutes, 5
hours or 5 days. Sure, the further out you go the less accurate and less
rewarding it gets but it depends on what you're doing and what the
effort/reward ratio is on looking ahead. There is no definitive answer to
that one.

Regarding tasks taking more than a day to complete; this is not GTD. A key
tenet of GTD is reducing tasks to what David Allen calls "widget cranking".
This means a meaningful reduction of an activity both in time taken and
resources required to point where a task is very clearly defined and can be
done quickly and easily. If a task is taking more than a day then it hasn't
been broken down enough. Even if it's a simple enough task but takes a long
time it can still be broken down into identical phases. There is no human
activity I'm aware of that can't be broken down into simple steps. There may
be a lot of steps for some activities but that's accumulation not
complexity.

The view I'm proposing could have a number of functions: -
Balancing workload across days
Clarifying priorities
Giving visibility to others of your workload
Allowing commitments to be made on dates (to yourself and others)
Enabling "batching" of tasks on certain days
Re-negotiating deadlines
Identifying if you are at the mercy of other people's task lists (if you do
a lot but none of it on your daily plan)
Consequences of a "day out"
etc etc

This is just my take on a calendar view in my world. That's my point. Others
will disagree strongly and it's hard to reach consensus because it is a
feature that is so dependent on very individual approaches to workload and
therefore very subjective. It would be difficult to have a single calendar
view that everyone would be happy with, or even the majority.