Hello Mary,  We have had this conversation with Richard in the past.  Here
is the link:

http://groups.google.com/group/mylifeorganized/browse_thread/thread/1831641b58ec4747/4fb039f575aa3715?lnk=gst&q=unschedule+nschm873#4fb039f575aa3715

As to answer your question, I'll review what I posted at that time.  To
forward plan you really shouldn't try to place your actual tasks in a
calendar.  You only use a calendar to figure out how much time you actually
have available to you.  So the steps are:

*Figuring out time needed to complete tasks:

*First you use MLO, or GTD, or whatever tool you use to gather all of the
work you really need to do.  You then take this work and figure out how many
30 minutes time slices you need to complete all the tasks you have given
yourself.

>From there you add your interruption percentage.  Basically, what percentage
of your time at work gets interrupted by others needing something from you.
You have to add enough additional time slices to cover this loss of time.

Now you know how many time slices you need to complete your tasks.

*Figuring out time available:*

Now you use a calendar to mark all of your commitments.  Read unschedule for
more information on how to do this.  Basically, you place all of your
scheduled meetings, your travel time, your lunches, your personal and
leisure time, etc.  Once you have this you now know what free time is
actually remaining for work.

Then you add up this time in 30 minute time slices.  Well you add up how
much of this time you are willing to give to work.  You can read about the
pomodoro technique as an example of this phase.  So now you know how many
"gross" time slices you have available.

*Putting it all together:

*Since you now know how man time slices you need and how many time slices
you have, you simply add them up.  You go back to your unscheduled calendar
and start counting time slices available for each day, until you reach the
total slices you determined that you need to complete your tasks.

*Advantages:
*
The advantage of this method over trying to put tasks directly into a
calendar is its flexibility.  You don't have to spend any time "sliding"
tasks to a later time slot if you add an emergency task.  By having time
needed and time available as separate lists you can add or subtract tasks to
your list and readjust your dates accordingly.

So to recap, you would use MLO or GTD or your personal task collection
methodology.  You then use a calendar and the unschedule technique.  You
would then use pomodoro or the dash method for your time segment technique.
Combine them all together and you can now forward plan.

Anyway, I hope that is what you were looking for...