It sounds like you have an old Android device, which will be most  of the
problem. On my Motorola Defy (2.3) it takes 14 seconds to load from scratch
while on my Samsung Note 2 it takes 3 seconds. On both it is instant if Android
hasn't closed the app due to lack of memory.

Depending on the device there may be an option to keep it in memory as a
priority, or alternatively to auto end other apps to keep the memory available.

Nick