Hi, Steve. First of all, they are not *my* servers. I'm just a user with a lot
of opinions. I might have to get a more powerful phone,  though.

The other issue involves pushing versus pulling synched changes. In push sync,
the server tells the client thay there are changes waiting. In pull sync, the
client polls periodically. MLO currently pulls. I am not certain but I think
Google Calendar, Gmail and Evernote all push. The performance of pull sync
depends on the polling interval, or how often the client looks for changes. If
it's too slow, there's a greater risk that a change shows up too late. But the
faster it gets, the more of your phone's data quota and cpu gets used up. Your
suggestion of polling whenever the client regains focus does help to reduce the
risk of late/missed changes but there are two problems. (1) when I discover a
new task and want to add it to my task list and pick up my phone,  I want to
get on with adding it right now. If the phone makes me watch a "please wait"
sign for 20 seconds before starting, I would be very frustrated.  (2) sometimes
I find a task in MLO, put the phone down, spend a while on
the task, go to my laptop, make some changes, and later pick up the phone to
look at my tasks.apparently MLO was in the foreground all this time and does
not have to "regain focus", so to pick up all changes, timer-driven polling is
still necessary.

In my view,  push sync is better but it's more complex to code.
Ng-Dwight
Mlo betazoid on Android sgn2

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mylifeorganized/0870966f-8328-4175-a7d3-24fa8ac62301%40dwightarthur.us.