Hi, Laurence & Mark.
I would be skeptical about just waiting for a new release. I'm guessing that if you want this changed you have to document very clearly how you want it to work and why the current way of working is not good.

I suspect that suggestions to change how workspaces function would tend to be more acceptable if the proposed functionality corresponds closely to current MLO functionality on other platforms. Currently, on MLO/Windows, a workspace remembers the last-used view (the same as the current functionality of Android that you don't like). If you want a certain workspace to always remember a certain default view, then on Windows you have to lock the workspace, which prohibits view changes as well as various other changes like zoom. If you try to make a change that's prevented by the workspace lock, MLO will create a new workspace and allow the change there, while preserving the original workspace unchanged. Advantage, it allows you to set up a workspace with various defaults and know that they will always be there. Disadvantages: It can feel very restricted to be working in a locked workspace. If MLO switches you to a new workspace in order to allow changes, it can feel like a disruption or interruption of your work. And over time unless you are good at housekeeping, you can accumulate a lot of abandoned ad-hoc workspaces.

Does this sound like something you would like to request?
-Dwight