Am 10.08.2016 um 21:39 schrieb Nunya Bidness Gogl:
Primarily for me, the biggest problem seems to be that there is still no
Linux version, ...

And there probably never will. The simple reason is that MLO was designed as a Windows app, it does probably not use any of the cross-platform GUI such as Qt. That's also why it the GUI is so nice and snappy on Windows. They could have created a cross-platform Java GUI, but then the UI would have been ugly and slow. So supporting Linux would mean a rewrite using a cross-platform UI toolkit or maintaining a separate codebase for Linux. That's something a small company with few developers simple cannot afford - timewise and skill-wise. Not even large companies like Evernote can afford to provide a Linux client. They certainly would do that if it was so easy. Microsoft doesn't provide a Linux client for OneNote either (though they provide one for iOS and Android). The market is simply too small even for such widely used applications and the burden is too much. So I think it's unfair and unrealistic to expect a small company to provide a native client for Linux. They already have clients for Windows, Mac, iOS and Android with different code bases - which is a incredible huge effort to maintain that can only be admired, and I can understand that they're already at the limit of what they can do.

If they want to spread to more platforms, the only sane way for them would be to stop providing native clients, and instead offer a web app (with full offline support), like Dwight suggested, or a full cross platform app built with a modern tool like Electron. But even that would be a huge effort for them and amount to a full rewrite with a new technology stack they are probably not yet acquainted with. So I can still understand that they are reluctant to do that step. The web technology and frameworks are also still in flux - choosing a good framework or toolkit that is viable long-term is difficult.

I view MLO like a good craft beer from a small independent brewer. They already make different variations of their beer. But some people demand that they also make mainstream beer, others demand they also make wine. But then they would stop being what they are and their great craft beer would become the same as every other beer.

Speaking of wine: You should try running MLO on Linux via wine (https://www.winehq.org/). Last time I tried it seemed to work, though I'm not sure how good that works in practice.

-- Christoph

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mylifeorganized/44667ef9-2711-ffb6-abb7-86cc977a5703%40online.de.