Interesting. Once I get all my tasks, entered, I may have to give this some 
more thought. Just having the structure of folders/tasks has helped a lot. 
In my current PIM, the top level is projects, and, even though it's just a 
name, it limits how I think about using it. 

On Monday, June 11, 2018 at 1:00:55 PM UTC-4, Stéph wrote:
>
> Hello Darryl,
>
> Here are a couple of thoughts:
>
> I have the top few levels of my outline structured something like this:
>
> >Area of Life (Personal, Home/Family, Work and Community)
> >> Role (Home DIY, Father, Friends, Electrical Engineer, Functional Safety 
> Specialist... etc)
> >>> Goal or Project
> >>>>Sub-Project
> >>>>>Tasks
>
> That way, I can align my projects with my goals and my goals with my 
> roles. Depending on whether I'm at work or it's home time, I can be looking 
> in the overall branch for the relevant area of my life.
>
> My Roles (the second level in my hierarchy) are all formatted as folders. 
> This gives me an advantage for setting up filtered views.  "TopLevelParent" 
> filters will match with my Area of Life, while "TopLevelFolder" will try to 
> match with my Roles.
>
> Under a project, my first item is often a folder, for storing reference 
> notes or a list of project contacts, job codes, etc.
>
> All my projects and sub-projects are formatted as "Project".
>
> Anyway, that's how I've got my outline set up. There may well be as many 
> different set-ups as there are people in the forum.
>
> Stéphane 
>
>
> On Monday, 11 June 2018 07:25:44 UTC+1, Darryl Brooks wrote:
>>
>> I read a thread on this that was several years old with some good info in 
>> it. Since I am just starting out, I wanted to get this discussion going 
>> again to see how others are utilizing these different components.
>>
>> In most, if not all, of the other task managers I have used, you had only 
>> one of these; usually project or parent task. So you used what you had for 
>> everything. I am hoping, if I use MLO, to start with a structure I can grow 
>> with. I know I can change things as I go along, but I also know that I have 
>> a tendency to build on the foundation I put in place.
>>
>> In addition to how you use these differently, I would like some 
>> perspective on the best way to start entering tasks toward this 
>> differentiation. Dump everything in the inbox and sort it out as I go or 
>> build a structure of folders/projects/ task-subtasks from the start.
>>
>> I tend to have more recurring tasks than anything else, but they can all 
>> be grouped in different ways. One thing I have always put in a project in 
>> other systems is called Housework, which contains a long list of recurring 
>> tasks with different periods. But since this 'project' is (unfortunately) 
>> never complete, should it be a folder or parent task.
>>
>> All input appreciated.
>>
>>

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"MyLifeOrganized" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/mylifeorganized.
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mylifeorganized/e1382b39-8558-405a-a085-d3816c58bc6d%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Reply via email to