Pat, try this:
In the recurrence window, where you set up the schedule for your task's recurrence, click the Advanced Options button.
In the Advanced Options window find the last item, called "Do not create a completed copy of this task upon recurrence"
The checkbox on this item is probably ticked. Click on it and leave it unticked.
Click OK to dismiss the Advanced Options window and click OK again to dismiss the recurrence window
The next time you mark your task completed (and it gets rescheduled according to the recurrence instructions) you will see a second copy of the task. One copy will be the instance you completed, showing when it started and was due and when you completed it, and it will display with the strikethrough you want. The other copy will be the rescheduled instance, showing the new start and due schedule, not completed, no strikethrough. I hope that this is what you want.
-Dwight