SQL is a language used in most database servers. Each database server
however may have a tiny little different syntax, but for the most part
everything is the same. Some databases also include database specific
code which is not portable to other database servers.

PHP, Perl, C, etc. are just languages that call the database based on a
SQL query you give it. The SQL query will be the same throughout all
programming langagues as long as you use the same database; however, the
way to retrieve the data from the query results different in syntax, but
are mostly all based off the same concent.

Hope this helps.