I'm running mysql  3.23.33 on debian.  I'm using /etc/init.d/mysql.server
to start up and shut down mysql server.  My configuration file is
/etc/mysql/my.cnf.  In that file, I've set my socket as follows:

socket          = /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock

When mysql starts, it seems to ignore this directive, and set up the socket
on /tmp/mysql.sock.  I looked into the mysql.server file, and found that it
was looking for my.cnf at /etc/my.cnf,  so I tried a couple of things.
First I moved my.cnf to /etc/my.cnf.  No difference.  So I moved it back
and edited the mysql.server file to look at /etc/mysql/my.cnf as follows:

conf=/etc/mysql/my.cnf

Still nothing.  The only way I could get it to run on
/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock was to edit the line in mysql.server that
starts safe_mysql, ie:
I had to change
$bindir/safe_mysqld --datadir=$datadir --pid-file=$pid_file &
$bindir/safe_mysqld --datadir=$datadir --pid-file=$pid_file
--socket=/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock &

Isn't there a more elegant way to do this?  Why is mysql.server ignoring
the /etc/mysql/my.cnf file?

Thank you for your time.
Joel Gwynn                              Designers' CADD Company, Inc.
A bus station is where a bus stops.
A train station is where a train stops.
So now you know why they call this a workstation...