It should also be made clear that MySQL users is different from System
Users.  MySQL root account is also different with the System Root Account.

You can restrict users to certain databases with the appropriate parameters
on what the db user can and cannot do.

mysql> user mysql;
mysql> grant insert, select, update on testdb.* to user@localhost identified
by 'hispassword';
mysql> flush privileges;

this would only allow him to do selects, updates and inserts on the database
testdb and all tables underlying it, but cannot delete, read from files etc.

GRANT is in detail at
http://www.mysql.com/documentation/mysql/bychapter/manual_MySQL_Database_Adm
inistration.html#GRANT

Thanks,