From: Anderson, James H [IT] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, October 09, 2003 11:15 AM
To: Fortuno, Adam
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Installation problem

Adam,

Yes, that's how I'm starting it. There are 2 reasons that lead me to believe
that it's not running:

1. when I issue "mysql -h localhost test" I get this msg:
        ERROR 2002: Can' connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/tmp/mysql.sock' (61)

2. when I issue "ps -auxww|grep mysql" I get no results other than the grep
job

Just to be sure, I did this:

        su (to root)
        mysqld_safe --user=mysql &

and got there msgs:

        Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /usr/local/mysql/data
        mysqld ended