Hi.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

It seems strange that the installation procedure should include an instruction that requires a password with no indication that one is required (i.e. there is no -p in the command sequence). Reading through Mark Liyanage's installation instructions, I notice that the second command ( /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqladmin -u root -h localhost password mysql) is not included.

Your recommended instruction to set the password from inside MySQL (GRANT ALL ON *.* TO [EMAIL PROTECTED] IDENTIFIED BY 'newpassword') worked fine.

My (perceived) problem with the PowerBook is that when at work the PowerBook is connected to a server via an Ethernet connection - the server then gives the PowerBook a hostname which is different from that when I have the PowerBook at home (and not networked): in both locations `hostname` gives different results. Could I set-up a root user (or any other user) with the '@%' hostname ?

I would hope to read through the Reference Manual, but at 800 - 1000 pages, I thought I might wait for the video :)

Many thanks,

Cheers,

Alex Brown

MRC-T.