Hi.

I installed MySQL on a Mac (OS 10.1) a while ago with the good intension of learning to use, and using, MySQL, but other things got in the way. However, I have finally found some time (so far) and I am now trying to install the latest version of MySQL (4.0.16) onto OSX 10.2 (on an iMAC G4), and I must admit to having run into a problem ( I have a vague recollection of having problems before).

I downloaded the installation file mysql-standard-4.0.16.dmg from the MySQl web site as recommended by Mark Liyanage, and followed the installation instructions given in the README. All was fine until I reached the point where the root password is set - the following is what happened

[blah:~] alexbrown% /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqladmin -u root password mysql
[blah:~] alexbrown% /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqladmin -u root -h `hostname` password mysql
/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqladmin: connect to server at 'blah.local.' failed
error: 'Access denied for user: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' (Using password: NO)'
[blah:~] alexbrown% /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqladmin -u root -h localhost password mysql
/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
error: 'Access denied for user: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' (Using password: NO)'

The last command I got from the searchable Reference Manual, from a posting made by briantrino.

Could someone please explain. I must admit that the program is running, and I have four users, two of whom are 'root', one on 'localhost' with a password and the other on 'blah.local.' with no password. The other two users have no user-name or password. Can I set the password for the other 'root' (on 'blah.local.') fromiside MySQL ? What are the other two unnamed users ?

I am hoping to install MySL onto a PowerBook G4. The above problem may more obvious here as the 'host' can appear to change depending on whether the PowerBook is on the internet or not.

I hope this all make some sense, and that someone can help.

Many thanks in advance,

Alex Brown

MRC-T.