Yves Goergen wrote:

(1) I want to start a (small, non-free) webhosting service and offer
webspace with PHP support and a MySQL database account. There will be some
standard tariffs that include a database account but I'm going to make them
available as extra upgrade, too, for a monthly fee. Do I need a MySQL
license for this use? I guess no, but I'm not really sure.

I do not think so. You can download and install a GPL copy of MySql, and let anyone you want use it. You are not shipping or distributing any part of MySql. Your customers are simply users of your server.

(2) If I'm planning to choose MySQL as DBMS for future software I code in my
one-man-company, instead of MS Access, I'd need to compile the MySQL client
libraries into my application. Another way could be the ODBC interface, but

If the software was written for use BY your one-man-company, than no.

But if you are selling this software to a client, then yes, they would
need a commercial license.  The license is "per server", so either you
or your client could purchase the license.   If your client was going to
install MySQL on two seperate servers, then two licenses would need to
be purchased.  If your client already had a commercial MySql license,
then they wouldn't need to purchase another license to use your app.

for this use? (Of course, they pay for my programs.) I guess yes, but what
in detail? Me for the client libraries? I haven't found pricing information

Typically, MySQL AB doesn't sell a license for the client libraries. The commercial license is a complete package, server and client. If your intention is to ship a functional MySql app, and just have the client download the GPL server, you would just need to purchase the commercial server. Having the client download/install the server is basically just an attempt at getting around the commercial license.

But, early in this thread, the situation where someone might ship an
application that could optionally connect up to many different databases.
MySql isn't required for the app to run, but the app COULD connect to
MySql if it was there.   That is a case where a specific CLIENT
license might be applicable.    On the MySql site, on the Pricing
page, it says:

"MySQL Client Prices

For circumstances where a MySQL client license is required, please
contact us for a quote."

So maybe they can deal with that scenario.