On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 10:39:09PM -0600, M S wrote:
> the show... I would say this show right now this is taking up 70% of
> my storage alone.  Also, every now and then I'll see a single program

It's curious how our standards change.  Today you can pick up disk
drives amazingly cheap -- 160gb for $50 shows up every so often at
Fry's/Outpost with rebate.    You can get better than VHS quality
in about 1gb/hour, so you can store 2 hours for 63 cents, online instead
of offline.

We used to spend a fair bit more than that (especially in today's dollars)
for a 2 hour videotape, and we thought it not a bad deal!

Sure, DVD-R is cheaper -- instead of 30 cents/gigabyte it's  as low as 6
cents/GB, and also going to get cheaper, but it's offline instead of
online (though not drawing power etc.)

But it makes you realize that optical archiving is not as exciting as
it once was.