On 22 Sep 2019, at 8:52 AM, Tim Burke <t...@tburke.us<mailto:t...@tburke.us>>
wrote:

That is just The Cogent Way™, unfortunately. I just had (yet another) Cogent
rep spam me using an email address that is _only_ used as an ARIN contact,
trying to sell me bandwidth. When I called him out on it, with
complia...@arin.net<mailto:complia...@arin.net> CCed, he backpedaled and
claimed to obtain my information from Google.

ARIN has repeatedly informed Cogent that their use of the ARIN Whois for
solicitation is contrary to the terms of use and that they must stop.  Despite
ARIN’s multiple written demands to Cogent to cease these prohibited activities,
ARIN has continued to receive complaints from registrants that Cogent continues
to engage in these prohibited solicitation activities.

For this reason, ARIN has suspended Cogent Communications’ use of ARIN’s Whois
database effective today and continuing for a period of six months.  For
additional details please refer to
https://www.arin.net/vault/about_us/corp_docs/20200106_whois_tos_violation.pdf
  ARIN will restore Cogent’s access to the Whois database at an earlier time if
Cogent meets certain conditions, including instructing its sales personnel not
to engage in the prohibited solicitation activities.

Given the otherwise general availability of ARIN Whois, it is quite possible
that Cogent personnel may evade the suspension via various means and continue
their solicitation.  If that does occur, please inform us (via
complia...@arin.net<mailto:complia...@arin.net>), as ARIN is prepared to extend
the suspension and/or bring appropriate legal action.

FYI,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO