David Bass wrote:
It becomes more clear when you think about the options out there, and get a little creative.  Now a days it’s definitely chess that’s being played.
And here I thought the purpose of hacking is (still) having fun - you know... hacking.

As to chess... I've begun to think that the game to master is now Go... capturing territory, not pieces, and instantaneous global state changes.

Miles Fidelman

In practice, there is.  .... Yogi Berra

Theory is when you know everything but nothing works.
Practice is when everything works but no one knows why.
In our lab, theory and practice are combined:
nothing works and no one knows why.  ... unknown