On 8/11/23 12:56, Nick Hilliard wrote:

bgp is a policy based distance vector protocol. If you can't adjust the primary inter-domain metric to handle your policy requirements, it's not much use.

I am not talking about appending one's own AS in the AS_PATH. I am talking about appending someone else's AS in the AS_PATH.

To be fair, I have never had to do that, since I've always thought it would be considered bad form. But I suspect that on the simple BGP mechanics of it, no vendor would be able to prevent that in any meaningful way.

Then again, path hijacking likely wasn't a thought at the time the Border Gateway Protocol was being conceived.

Mark.