> What part of the SDK creates and/or interprets
> .csproj files?

It doesn't. In order to create the .csproj, you need
VS.Net. At build time, the CSPROJ task would interpret
that file directly (no devenv needed) and call the
freely-available-in-the-SDK csc compiler. While the
developers would use VS.Net to create the project, the
builder wouldn't need it to perform the build.

I also suspect that the actually build would be faster
than an "DEVENV" task, since you don't need to launch
the rather beastly IDE.